As the new year looms closer, you may start to think about what you want for your career in the coming 12 months. It can be helpful to spend a little time reflecting on your career over the past year in order to inform your next steps.
So find a quiet space, a notebook and pen and reflect on the following questions:
- What event, large or small, will you remember for a long time?
- If you had use just 5 words to describe the year, what would they be?
- What did you discover about yourself?
- Did you have enough rest to be able to perform well this year?
- What accomplishments are you proud of?
- Who was the person that you could rely on most?
- What are 2 or 3 things you learned this year?
- How were your relationships with your colleagues this year?
- What experience at work would you love to re-live?
- Was there anything about you or your career that totally changed this year?
- What are you most proud of this year?
- Was there anything that you worried about that turned out to be unnecessary?
- What was your most common mental state at work this year?
- Did you start any new habits or routines this year?
- What was the funniest thing that happened at work this year?
- If you had to pick a theme for the past year, what would it be?
- What were your favourite things to do in your job this year? And your least favourite?
- Was there anything important that you started but didn’t finish?
- What was the best use of your time?
- Did your career progress as you wanted to?
- Who were your favourite 5 people to work with this year?
- What was the biggest challenge you faced?
- Were you able to maintain the physical fitness you need for your role?
- What was the largest problem you solved?
- When did you feel inspired this year?
- What tasks or projects made you lose track of time?
- What did this year in your career teach you?
- Would you describe the year as successful overall? Why or why not?
- What was a big time waster this year?
- In what ways did you grow professionally?
- What took you outside of your comfort zone?
- Do you feel like you made a difference this year?
- What was the biggest change in your career this year?
Hopefully reflecting on your career using these prompts has provided with some useful insights.
Use the insights gained to start planning for the new year and what you want to achieve in your career. If that journey is leading you to undertake some further study, check out our list of qualifications here.
For career advice and guidance in selecting the right qualification for you, call our Course Advisors on 1300 275 282 for a no obligation discussion or email email@example.com